Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tasty Tuesdays

One of the frustrating things about living in Indiana is you can see all four seasons in one day. Having lived here for over forty years, I am used to this and normally it doesn't bother me. However, I get frustrated when I plan on grilling for my family and the weather changes last minute and ruins those plans. So there I am with thawed hamburger patties and all the fixings and then I hear the sound of rain on the roof. As I stand in the kitchen and listen to the rain trying not to be too irritated, I remember a favorite childhood meal that my mom used to make. Despite the weather outside, the sun starts shining inside and I grab the ingredients I need.

My dad was always a steak and potatoes man. The problem was my parent's budget was more hot dogs and beans. Since my dad loved meat, my mom came up with a meal that gave him his steak but didn't cost a lot. She called them Hobo Steaks. I can assure you they taste much better than they sound.

You will need:
Tin foil
Hamburger patties (1 pound typcailly makes 4 patties)
1 can of cut carrots
1 can of sliced potatoes
minced onions
Worchester sauce

Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-tear tin foil into about 10 in x 18 in pieces
-place hamburger patty in center of tin foil
-sprinkle minced onions onto pattty
-drain carrots and potatoes and put a handful of each on hamburger patty
-cover patty and vegetables with Worchester sauce
-close tin foil and fold sides making a bit of a square around patty
-poke holes in top with fork
-place on cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes
-when done baking open tin foil (be careful of steam) and drain juice
-serve on a plate and enjoy

My family likes A-1 sauce on their hobo steaks and I usually also serve a salad

Serving size - 4
Cost- about $10 to get all ingredients needed if you don't have at home

photo credit: google images

With fall here one of my families favorite foods is apples and caramel. Below is a tasty dessert to serve with you hobo steaks.

You need:
1 8oz block of cream cheese
1 large jar of marshmallow topping
1 container of already made caramel dip
apples

With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese and marshmallow topping until creamy smooth
add 1 cup of caramel to mix
slice apples and enjoy 

Needless to say that despite the weather my kids loved the hobo steaks and I created another good meal that my kids still eat today. Not only did my moms recipe save the day but it allowed me to share a meal from my childhood and carry on the tradition of the hobo steak. Parents and grandparents are great to look to for yummy recipes. I have found also that not only do the meals taste good but the memories last a lifetime. I hope you have a good week. Please feel free to share your favorite fall meals and memories with me. For more great recipes on a budget check out Budget Bytes.



No comments:

Post a Comment